Thursday, January 12, 2012

Tavernier Sort Of

I did not bring much in the way of photo recording devices so these few pics snatched from borrowed phone of intelligence will have to do.
One includes front of my car as proof that I was there. It is as much to affirm to myself that I didn't just imagine it as it is for any other purpose. I often wonder if I am in the real world or living in fantasy while actually languishing somewhere in a coma, or comma for that matter.

Ballistic Auto Tech Guide; part 1112012-the turn signal

Anyone who has bought a car, new or used, in the last fifty years probably has a vehicle which includes the turn signal option. They are standard on most street ready vehicles, or the original owner opted in on the popular turn signal and window option. The manufacturer generally ties in the option of having windows and windshield with directional signals.

If you are unsure, take a look behind the steering wheel to see if there are one or more sticks protruding from the steering column. I'm assuming here that the vehicle has a steering wheel of some kind.

Go ahead and start the car. Then move the lever up or down and see if a little indicator light blinks there by the speedometer. If this motion makes windshield wipers move, then look for another stick and try it. If you are still in doubt, move the stick to the up or down position, then step outside the vehicle and examine the front and back region where the lights reside to see if any of them are pulsing on and off. If so, then your car does indeed have this option. You may have to fool around with the stalks sticking out from the steering column until by trial and error you figure out what's what. Of course, I am guessing your vehicle came with lights in the front and rear.

Assuming it does, then it is wise to familiarize yourself with their use. Once you get it down, you will feel smug knowing that you are way ahead of 35% of the drivers in many parts of the country in this bit of automobile knowledge.

The use of the pulsing light--be sure to make the ones on the left pulse if you are changing course to the left, and the ones on the right when moving to the right--is most effective if you initiate such action prior to actually turning or changing lanes. It doesn't do that much good if you wait until you are turning or in the middle of the lane change to use the indicators. By that time people already know where you are going and can't do anything about it.

This item is also appropriately used if you are exiting a parking lot onto a thoroughfare. That way someone a hundred feet over entering the thoroughfare from the opposite side knows if you are likely to turn into him should the two of you choose to turn in a direction which puts you heading toward one another.

There are more situations than one might think in which the prudent use of the turn signal, in advance of changing course, can enable others to more safely navigate and plan for the future in such a manner that no one collides.

I realize this may sound like overkill to many drivers across the country, particularly among the sporty wannabe and gansta crowd, but studies will show that it is not. Actually a small period observing traffic should be enough to convince even the dimmest of wits.

Surprisingly, the habitual use of this undersung, underused piece of optional equipment is equally advisable for those driving colossal SUVs and pick up trucks of any size. I know, if you have a pick up that stands ten feet above the road, you think, why bother. But, again, careful study and analysis clearly points to the value of that extra effort to move the little lever in the proper direction, in advance of your change of direction.

I've spent many hours pondering why this silly automotive device is useful, and finally I came up with the answer. The reason one should operate the turn signal device whenever anyone else is around is because at least 85% of the population is unable to read minds, hence they are unlikely to pick up on your plans for the near future. The other 15% are generally busy reading the minds of others, so they, too, are unaware of what you are thinking at a given moment.

We'll cover lights another time, but for now, if it is dark, foggy or raining, turn them completely on. Not halfway because it is only half dark or a little rainy. Full on, or full off when the sled is moving. And, surprisingly, you can and should use turn signals as described, even if your lights are on. Incredible as that may sound.

I hope this public service bulletin proves helpful.

About Me

My photo
Ballistic Mountain, CA, United States
Like spring on a summer's day


Blog Archive