Thursday, January 15, 2009

Class Action Goose Suit

At first I thought of it as one of those absurdities that often crosses my mind. Then I realized it is probably already being discussed in some form.

When the US Air plane turned into a boat after ruthlessly slaughtering a few geese, I thought, "Someone needs to sue on behalf of the gooses, since they can't speak for themselves, and, after all, geeses, and/or ganders are people, too". My mind is a wondrous place to dwell. The really strange thing is that I worry about myself and get depressed when my inner self(s) is absent of such dialog.

I've not yet checked to see what PETA has to say about this issue. I do know they often combat the efforts of airports to chase away birds and keep them from setting up house in places where they pose a threat to aviation--human aviation.

One thing this incident does do, and I'm glad; it silences those who often smugly comment that the floatation devices and discussion of same are a waste of time. This is a case in which it is clear why flight attendants are there, and why they give that talk before a flight. Maybe it is not evident, but I guarantee you that half the people would still be fumbling around on the plane if the FAs weren't there to get them in gear and out.

So it is possible for an airliner to go down in water, and everyone lives. I'm not happy they went down, but I am thrilled at the outcome. Maybe this will temper the cynical smirkers for a day or two in commercial aviation.

5 comments:

  1. You may be right, or we may all just give up this air travel nonsense and let the goosies fly unmolested.

    In a sick sense, it's comforting to know the mighty works of man can be brought down by a few birds. That it happened this time without loss of human life makes it even better.

    That USAir captain is one hell of a pilot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard about the accident, without details, just as I was about to board my airplane! As you can tell, I arrived safely in good ole Germany... without the need for those swimmvests. phew

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you have any in-dept interest in this event, there is an excellent website which has 21 pages including photos of the event.

    It happened so close to me that at ten oclock last night I got a call to go with my photog friend to NYC to take photos. I did a quick wind-chill check (sub zero) and chalked it up to my age that I said no.

    BG says it shows I am still young that I sure wanted to go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A hoax? The birds or the entire event? You mean the cause was other than represented? Or the landing?
    Just about all that crosses news screens seems suspect so I'm curious.

    ReplyDelete

Can't make comments any easier, I don't think. People are having trouble--google tries to kidnap them. I'll loosen up one more thing and let's see. Please give it a try

About Me

My photo
Ballistic Mountain, CA, United States
Like spring on a summer's day

Followers

Blog Archive