Thursday, March 12, 2009

Walking on Water

So, I was over at another mega residence, just a block or two away from the usual place. That would be the the place where I am involved in the big teak project. Since word got out, I was asked to give a quote on the stuff in dire need at this place. All these places seem to have a big swimming pool in the middle of things outside, or inside; kind of a courtyard design that is prevalent.

OK. They went inside to get some contact info written down. I was gazing off into the distance in case I could see the other place where I work. Just gazing and daydreaming and moving backwards without thinking, to get a better view, I assume. Next thing I know I find the earth felt like loose jelly, sort of sloshy.

Thanks to the powers that be, these people have a very heavy cover on that pool. I was full on it-both feet. Before I could think, I jumped out onto the hard surface portion of the courtyard. As near as I can tell no one witnessed this event. If they did, I doubt they'll want me doing work there while they are away. Or there, unless they have a great sense of humor. So far, if any humor does exist there, it is well hidden.

That brings me to another thought; is it possible that those with seemingly unlimited power, or seemingly unlimited wealth, have little or no need of humor? My experience has been that people who have enough to meet their needs and help friends and family are in pretty good cheer. Those who are beyond the average millionaire seem to lose it. People of power, as in political power, often have no humor or refuse to show it to the "little people" they claim to love. Just ask people who have been subjected to the Kennedys.

I don't see a lot of wit and humor in Obama or his crew. Maybe some lesser congress members like to laugh. That's no good. I was really hoping they'd all have a big haha press conference saying, "Hahaha, jokes on you. We were only kidding. Like we really would think you are such big suckers. hahahaha".

Say what they want, I walked on water. Got to figure, if they actually hire me for the project, in this economy, it's about the same thing; a miracle if news reports are right.

5 comments:

  1. The uber-wealthy don't need a sense of humor. They can buy laffs any time they want.

    Hell, if I was a octo-gazillionaire, I'd hire you, even if I didn't have any wood in the yard. Just for the laughs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those with real power also have a great sense of responsibility for their fellow man. I have a friend who is president of a very large publicly traded company and he is a really good human being. His sense of humor is alive but is masked by the worry for his co-workers and job stress.

    You would never know if you met him. People are people no matter their circumstances. There is power all over my neighborhood. When I look past my own insecurities I see them as human beings and truthfully they have problems like everyone else.

    Either way I will be willing to bet that many of your best friends are musicians no matter where they come from.

    I know my closest friends are all musicians even though I am a businessman.

    I suspect you would be the same guy rich or poor but perhaps a little more guarded if you thought people "Knew" you were rich.

    Just sayin'

    Bobby

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought your name was Juan, not Jesus (Tex-Mex pronunciation, of course). Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bobby
    I understand the guarded aspect, and the different behavior among close peers and necessary evils like myself these days. I've known people in pretty powerful positions in the past but not seen the same strangeness as this place. Part of it is unavoidable and part something to do with the folk, and maybe the times. It's a world I realize is far removed from my own as far as lifestyle and priorities.

    ReplyDelete

Can't make comments any easier, I don't think. People are having trouble--google tries to kidnap them. I'll loosen up one more thing and let's see. Please give it a try

About Me

My photo
Ballistic Mountain, CA, United States
Like spring on a summer's day

Followers

Blog Archive