Saturday, September 19, 2009

Need a Song I can Cover

I'm not the biggest fan of covers because the original artist usually did it better than it will be, however I know that theory is full of holes. Anyway, not to be a coward, I am trying to acquiesce to wishes from the group and decide on a song I could do. It has to be something that works pretty much acoustically, so most Led Zeppelin is out, and I don't think Doors will fit the general tone. I hear old songs and think about it sometimes but just haven't settled. I'm sure even closest associates doubt my ability to pull it off, but I know better. The right thing and it will be legendary or, at worst, mediocre.
I'm toying with Catch the Wind, but I think maybe something else.

Something sexy and insane, yet sedate.
It must have an identifiable melody, not like the stuff Merv Griffin used to sing. Did anyone else ever see his show years ago? He would sing stuff that had no melody or anything. It made me worry about the composer. Holy smoke. I couldn't imagine anyone actually being excited about writing whatever that song was. Was it a song or maybe Merv was given to fits of insanity which led him to sing non songs. He seemed like a nice guy. Some of the tunes were, I don't even know the word.
Not tappers, those.
Help me, but no Merv Show debacles.
Do any of the thousands of readers of my blog have an idea?

7 comments:

  1. I'll send you a link via KCL of a good German harp player... the one that won our version of "You have talent" or whatever that show is called....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any song can be played acoustically with the right arrangement. Apocalyptica played Metallica covers on cellos and it worked very well.

    New Orleans is Sinking by the Tragically Hip would sound cool with a harp replacing the guitar riff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Drawing a blank here...that's what happens when you grow up listening to the wrong kind of music.

    Forget Merv. He never made it to the top anyway. Listen to some Mel Torme and Sinatra covers.

    Or just be the first to do a harp cover of "Louie Louie" and/or "In a Gadda da Vida" (or however you spell it).

    ReplyDelete
  4. My first thought is to go with Scribbler here and maybe look into Nat King Cole and that era/genre. Louie, Louie - there's a good thought - easily recognizable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Or maybe Kodachrome - Paul Simon.

    I'm still thinnking on this one....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe I wasn't clear. They want me to SING one, not play Melancholy Baby on the harmonica, or maybe an instrumental medley of Helen Reddy hits. No that is not what I'm up to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. yay! this is what i've always hoped for. i have enough suggestions for you to do an entire album of covers.

    here's a few to choose from...

    love cats - the cure
    girlfriend is better - talking heads
    under the milky way - the church

    no i'm not stuck in the 80's, it's just i've always seen you doing an 80's cover album.

    nort tea

    ReplyDelete

Can't make comments any easier, I don't think. People are having trouble--google tries to kidnap them. I'll loosen up one more thing and let's see. Please give it a try

About Me

My photo
Ballistic Mountain, CA, United States
Like spring on a summer's day

Followers

Blog Archive