Friday, October 23, 2009

Flew Away

It is possible that I contracted the R2D2 flu, or the H1N1. Then again it could merely be another plague from another crisis. Whatever it is, it had me fooled. I thought it was almost gone, then it attacked with a passion. It is not fun but I am sure my system is fighting it off. All the cells of my being have been instructed that we cannot afford the usual indulgence into illnesses in which many luxuriate every few months, or at least once per year. Those things are for the rich, and unionized workers.

Off that topic, but on my mind, is the ever growing tendency for written material to mix the words "then" and "than" as if they were synonymous. They are not. Than indicates a comparison, and then indicates a sequential relationship.

Examples: John Holmes was bigger than a Cuban cigar. First she said "no", then she said, "yes, yes, yes!".
See what I mean?

Several times lately, I have seen then used instead of than, and vice versa, in various publications which pay their writers, and editors. On the amateur level, these things happen, and I don't nitpick grammar, but paid professionals should hold to a higher standard and be a source of reference regarding how words are properly used, to some extent. Maybe when we give way entirely to modern hieroglyphics these things won't matter. I have visions of odd graphics involving Holmes and Fidel.

I need to wash my mind out with soap or paint thinner. That last vision was a bit much.

Blame this illness for my inappropriate entries. I ate one pound of party peanuts in 24 hours. That seems excessive. They were on sale.

It does seem that the wealthier areas of the city tend to be home to the most shapely and in shape women. I wonder if that doesn't create some sort of genetic disposition to be both wealthy and beautiful after a few generations, or if it is all done with surgery and polymers. Once again, I urge people not to support any of the attacks on the rich. Leveling everyone down could result in all of us being ugly or unremarkable, and that would be no fun, and make my work environments less enjoyable. From a distance it is easier to appreciate people for things other than their minds. Close up, it is often impossible to appreciate them for their minds. I like keeping the distance.

oh great. The cell connection dropped. I think someone has a jammer on Ballistic mountain. It drives me nuts. I expect the phone to be spotty but the computer is on another network that should be reliable up here. I think it is due to my subject matter and non compliance with the prescribed thoughts we are supposed to embrace. The Thought Czar may be on to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Can't make comments any easier, I don't think. People are having trouble--google tries to kidnap them. I'll loosen up one more thing and let's see. Please give it a try

About Me

My photo
Ballistic Mountain, CA, United States
Like spring on a summer's day

Followers

Blog Archive