Monday, April 19, 2010

A Good Weekend

First I meet a guy who knew Norton Buffalo and was at his memorial gig which was a huge music fest sort of thing, almost, then there was the good time playing at the get together/party up here on Ballistic Mountain. That in itself makes a good weekend.

But today yielded a nice potted mint plant--long enough story. I like mint. And I had a conversation with my old band's bass player back in Tennessee. He wanted some info he could feed the new harp player. I feel like an indirect mentor. In digging up certain resources I realize that I am not that great. Even so, I pretty much know what I'm talking about when it comes to diatonic harmonica, and some about chromatic.

Half of this got lost in a snafu re connectivity so I am making up what is missing. It was hours ago that disaster struck so the thought has gone away.

Anyway, it was a good weekend. My old band in memphis is doing OK, according the the bass player, but he wanted me to send some info that might help my replacement do a little bit better. In looking up resources on line I had to face how little I actually know. I'm an anomaly. It just barely works for me, what I do and how I do it, but it is unlikely that the purists would approve. Normal harp players would look askance. I'm amazed that most players don't toss me out on my ear. I guess a little bit of good sense goes a long way.

I may not know or be able to do some of the things you ought to, but I know how to not step on the other players, and that is worth a bundle I'm finding. And I don't play the same lick over and over during a solo no matter what song is being done. That little bit of sensibility can make it look like you know something more. One of these days I will get the art of blues/jazz/country/ballistic acid harp down. In the mean time I hope they never see the really good players on youtube or elsewhere.

Probably since most harps want to be the front man, and I like the sound of music best in most cases when the harp is a back up item, that keeps me safe. You get a vocalist or guitar player annoyed if they think you want to take the main spot. I'm fortunately not in that mode. So, those with sense see that I am not a threat. Unfortunately many in my past never figured out I was just there to make them sound better. Ingrates and whatchamacallits. What a sad thing to be, too afraid to work toward the best overall product. Lot of that in entertainment; people who don't care about best, just as long as they can be up front.

That's whay I am in the business I am in, whatever that is.

It was a good weekend. I enjoyed the conversation with the old bass player and others today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Can't make comments any easier, I don't think. People are having trouble--google tries to kidnap them. I'll loosen up one more thing and let's see. Please give it a try

About Me

My photo
Ballistic Mountain, CA, United States
Like spring on a summer's day

Followers

Blog Archive