Friday, June 18, 2010

Store Bought Tortilla Product Review

I've been known to buy the 100 pack but usually stick to the 30 pack of tortillas. That will carry me about a week.

I noticed that in SoCal the ones you get from the store are softer and fresher than in Memphis. The commute may not be worth the trouble unless you are heavily into the nuances of tortillas.

It ma be noted that I am primarily focusing on white corn tortillas. Wheat flour ones have their place but I hardly think they count as real tortillas. Yellow corn tortillas are OK but not the same thing.

OK, Mission Bell is usable and sometimes all there is, but you should go for Guerrerro (spelling maybe es maybe no). The gerrerrerrerros are far softer and fresher and work better. I put about 5 in the pan, spread out as much as possible, with a little olive oil or whatever oil I have--maybe the oil from my oil change--then put a lid on the frying pan, heat it for a little bit, drop in a couple of eggs on top, the recover it, get some water in my hand, throw it in to make steam, and in no time the eggs are cooked and so are the tortillas.
If you are really living high, you may have cheese and tomatoes to throw in. Toss in the cheese when you drop in the eggs. Tomatoes can go on later if you prefer they not get cooked much.

Yes, the Guerrerr-etc brand is the ticket on this item. You are welcome.



See how happy you can be? !Si! Muy happidad!

6 comments:

  1. Guerrero tortillas are the best I've found, aside from the occasional local home-made variety. Corn torties are of course best for making burritos and the like, but for good munching -- just heated, with a slap of butter -- or for shoveling beans or salsa around the plate, I have to give a shout-out for the corn variety, which have more character. That goes double for the blue corn type, when you can find 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ? Oh ! Hi John ~ you are still here too?! I also like the white corn tortillas the best! ( allergic to wheat.)

    Thanks for the recipe ! Sounds great and now I'm craving a couple of these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sheesh...I meant FLOUR torties are best for burritos! Those big gummy discs hold the beans, rice, cheese -- and, for us carnivores, meat -- together better than anything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why ruin a good burrito with meat? You can wrap real tortillas around beans lettuce tomato cheese, and whatnot. Smaller, but you just eat more of them.
    Also you can roll them up and they are used like bread. I should have been Guatemalan or Mexican.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Sunny, I'm still here, and still crazy, after all this time. Good to see you

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks :) "still crazy, after all this time." sounds like a song! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Can't make comments any easier, I don't think. People are having trouble--google tries to kidnap them. I'll loosen up one more thing and let's see. Please give it a try

About Me

My photo
Ballistic Mountain, CA, United States
Like spring on a summer's day

Followers

Blog Archive