Thursday, February 24, 2011

Pale and Pail; no, not equal

Several times lately I've seen the word "pail" used as a verb where "pale" would be correct.

Dear AP, and others--Pail= a bucket, container
Pale = lacking color, vigor {as in "that pales in comparison to his last outburst"]
also as in "Are you felling well? You look PALE"
= fence stake or boundary {as in "beyond the pale"]


Normally these things don't bug me, but there are times. It is what we get for A. spellcheck, B. the fact that most people ain't got good larnin' in the pubic skoos.

I catch myself writing phonetically all the time. And many times I do not catch it. When I see it I know. I believe most of the errors I'm mentioning here are cases of not knowing the difference. It happens.

While I'm at it, (and I, too, lack the education I think fitting a person of my stature) let's take a look at "then" and "than"
Then deals with sequence and time--as in first I punched him the nose, and THEN he shot me.
Than ideals with comparison---as in, "He announced to the entire locker room 'mine is bigger THAN yours'".
or, "I'd rather be a hammer THAN a nail"

Valley girl speak sometimes confuses the vowels A and E, so it is natural that the spelling and context of words gets screwed up in print. "she's my best girl frand, gah" "He is rally rally cute"

5 comments:

  1. I often confuse then and than... but then I've been leaving among foreigners too long. lol

    I often get shocked when I read US (=San Diego) news online (10news, KUSI, SanDiegoOnline) and find soooo many errors!! I often want to start correcting (and embarassing) them.

    Spellcheck wouldn't catch pail and pale because they are both real words and computers have no feelings... at least not the last time I knew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a funky style that is not very proper from a grammatical perspective.

    I make a lot of mistakes and some of them are so glaring that it makes me shriek.

    You are human. So am I or at least whatever rhymes with elephant....

    Cheers,
    Bobby

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not saying I don't violate grammar rules and more. just sayin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, my spell check just picked up a homonym this morning...to my surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Half the time I don't use it. But it won't catch they're vs there vs their and other things. But I'm just using the one in the post writing window here.

    ReplyDelete

Can't make comments any easier, I don't think. People are having trouble--google tries to kidnap them. I'll loosen up one more thing and let's see. Please give it a try

About Me

My photo
Ballistic Mountain, CA, United States
Like spring on a summer's day

Followers

Blog Archive