Monday, July 2, 2012

Product Reviews; part 722012



After a little checking online, I decided to purchase another Dewalt sander. The one I have has done fairly well. The Makita I used for awhile was great in many ways, but the clips which hold the paper fell apart because the metal spring clips are poorly attached into the molded plastic sides, and when that plastic bit breaks off, it is not good.

The Dewalt has OK clips to hold the sandpaper, but it is kind of a pain. They didn't fall off after much extended use, so that is a plus.

We are talking 1/4 sheet finish sanders here. I do, however, use them for pre-finish work a lot. Sometimes you can't go the random orbital route.

OK. So it seemed that Home Depot was as good a place as any to get the sander. I checked various places online and prices were about the same.

Before I forget, the Makita did not come with any sort of carrying case. A big minus--but it was fairly cheap.

Alright. I went to the power tool section of my favorite Home Depot--the one in Poway, CA. They had the display model, but were out of stock of the Dewalt sander I wanted. Then I noticed the Ridgid sander--whoever named that brand was a master of subliminal messaging--which was priced the same as the Dewalt. Both are at the upper end of HD's selection.

The various specs were about the same; amps, rate of vibration or orbit, etc. But I noticed the Ridgid unit had a different setup for holding the sandpaper. It looked as if it was less likely to pinch or annoy fingertips, and it seemed an easier and possibly more durable design.

So, I said forget bothering with waiting for the truck and all the things the helpful store rep suggested so I could get the Dewalt. I took the risk and bought the subliminal tribute to my masculine virility. For me, the Ridgid is most suitable, I decided.

This unit has seen hours of constant use--earplugs are worth their weight in gold. Some practice is required, but the system for attaching the paper is far quicker and easier than other sanders I've used, and it seems to be hanging together. The thing functions very well.

I ended up buying another one* so that my helper and I could both be sanding simultaneously. They have worked out well, and believe me, they have endured a little bit of abuse.

They come in a soft case made of heavy fabric of some kind, which I prefer to the hard shell case which houses my Dewalt. The case is no larger than it needs to be, the zipper which closes the top works well, and the pouch is useful.

I'm very pleased with this device and would recommend the Ridgid 1/4 sheet sander without reservation unless you are one who goes for the stuff that costs hundreds of dollars. In that case, you are on your own.

Oh, I like the Ridgid sander's on-off switch setup much better than either Dewalt or Makita.

*part of the deal for me doing this job is that THEY would pay for the sanders.

2 comments:

  1. My children and I revel in going camping underneath the
    night sky. Most people have graduated from
    the normal fabric outdoor tent to a trailer tent.
    It is really much improved on an individual's lumbar region!
    My page post

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to let this comment through, as this is clearly an avid reader and great friend.

    ReplyDelete

Can't make comments any easier, I don't think. People are having trouble--google tries to kidnap them. I'll loosen up one more thing and let's see. Please give it a try

About Me

My photo
Ballistic Mountain, CA, United States
Like spring on a summer's day

Followers

Blog Archive