Sunday, July 26, 2009

Cash for Clunker Hoax

The unbelievably outside the Constitutional intent of government program called CARS came to my attention recently. It occurred to me that this is a move to encourage the exact same behavior that supposedly led to the economic woes we are now experiencing.

Personally, I think the fact that people have been borrowing more than they should is just a partial explanation for the trouble. It is hard to just list one thing without listing the 10000 ther things that led up to it. They focussed on the housing market, but the car market has thrived on people borrowing who shouldn't for decades. The most money is made off of shakey credit people who have become convinced that if they will finance it, buying is the thing to do. Then they end up in dire straits, often showing up on the news as a victim of the Man. They'll ay whatever as long as they get financed and someone tells them they can afford the payment.

It is true that those peddling wares on time to the greedy and ignorant poor do not go out of their way to educate these eager lambs on their way to slaughter. I say "greedy poor" because that is basically what they are. The lust for more than they can afford outweighs their good sense when the goods are waved in front of them, and conventional wisdom says, "it's ok, make payments". It is an easy trap to fall into. You tend to think things will fall a certain way later on and you'll catch up. I've been there.

I've also been in the spot of wanting to remain within my means, however meager, and in need of transportation. The smart thing is to buy the cheapest beater I can find which will serve the purpose. That is the responsible thing, not financing a car when times are tough. This government program is going to hurt people who want to make that decision. The availability of cheapo used vehicles will not be what it was as people decide to take more from the government toward a new, approved vehicle.

Those who have the means and the beater will take advantage of the money, and those with the beater and just enough credit to get approved will take the money. Once again, in the name of green and helping out the common people, a sneaky, regressive hidden tax on the responsible poor is born. Anyone of modest means trying to start from scratch.

The idea of using tax money to overpay for cars they want off the road is evil. Pure and simple. Those are the cars that help the people with less money, the ones trying to get off the street, those who are determined to get out from under burdensome debt. Exactly the opposite of what is claimed.

I hope those who can will resist participating. The big picture long term result is less mobility and independence for those of minor means, which inhibits their ability to work, better their lives or go live outside the urban areas where public transportation is the alternative.

Why there is such a lack of reverence for freedom and why everything from Bin Laden to CO2 has been transformed by political alchemists rob people of that, I do not know. Probably because those who are not hurt by these things really feel better when everyone else is under control and kept close to home.

Now I've convinced myself I should have found a cheap disposable car instead of what I bought. Dumbass me. I did not finance though.

2 comments:

  1. I've had cheap, disposable cars. Sometimes it works out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is always nice to know they are out there in the market. I hate to see that disappear.

    ReplyDelete

Can't make comments any easier, I don't think. People are having trouble--google tries to kidnap them. I'll loosen up one more thing and let's see. Please give it a try

About Me

My photo
Ballistic Mountain, CA, United States
Like spring on a summer's day

Followers

Blog Archive