Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Seeking Solidarinosc

So, I was in the coffee aisle trying to organize some grassroots action to protest the higher price they started charging for Cafe Bustelo. It jumped $2 all at once a couple of months ago. Now it is the same price the other stores in this area charge. For awhile there it was selling for South Florida prices. Down there many brands of Cuban coffee are available and perhaps competition does benefit the consumer.

But never mind that, I seek solidarinosc from my fellow oppressed grocery shoppers. What response do I get? "Well, Folgers is on sale."

Folgers? Madam, you insult my aesthetic integrity!! Have you never heard of solidarinosc? "Oh, I think I saw that on aisle six, next to the sugar."


Holy smoke, this online place where I got the photo wants over a buck more than Daniel's outrageous price. Bustelo consumers of the world unite!!! Solidarinosc, y'all.

What is the world coming to? I try to organize some collective bargaining to protect my right, as a consumer, not to go broke buying Cuban coffee and the masses are blind to their plight!! Try as I may, they just don't see how their right to food and beverage is being violated. Not a solidarinosc bone in their bodies.

Perhaps I should bring a bullhorn next time, and pen some catchy slogans designed to be chanted with group participation:
call:"What's highway robbery and red and yellow?"
response: "The overpriced can of Cafe Bustelo!!!"

Call: "Who's the racist with a heart of ice?"
Response: "The fascist manager who raised the price!!!"

Call: "What do we want?"
Response: "two bucks a can!!"
Call: "when do we want it?"
response: "yesterday!!"
Call: "If we don't get it?"
Response: "the racist manager dies dies dies!!"

It is all peaceful of course.

Maybe that will bring out the inner solidarinosc in the apathetic, downtrodden shoppers at the Alpine Daniel's Market.

I'm pretty sure my mistake was neglecting to bring in the megaphone. You have to have the megaphone guy at any protest if you want your brothers and sisters in pain to take you seriously and indulge that need to belong to a group; jump on the bandwagon.

3 comments:

  1. Definitly a catchy phrase. All peaceful of course.

    You've got me smiling into my cup of Sumatran whatever jungle juice this morning (it was on sale).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coffee prices as a commodity have shot up recently and Cafe' Bustelo (A fave among my Spanish gals at home) got marked to the market...

    Dammit. We gave up diet soda to retaliate. Giving up the coffee is not an option.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You failed because you didn't have a drum circle.

    ReplyDelete

Can't make comments any easier, I don't think. People are having trouble--google tries to kidnap them. I'll loosen up one more thing and let's see. Please give it a try

About Me

My photo
Ballistic Mountain, CA, United States
Like spring on a summer's day

Followers

Blog Archive