Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Taking The Role Of Underdog Without The Fleas and such

I remember when the whole Solidarinosc thing got started. In Poland they have some letters than vary a bit from the ones in the English alphabet, so the closest thing I can write is spelled like that--solidarinosc.

The birth of that movement had a bit more in the way of actual oppression and lack of freedom to contend with than the latter day usurpers who took on the slogan. I think that was actually the name of the union Lech Walesa formed. It wasn't a public employee outfit but a trade union for people in the shipyard, if memory serves.

They had some tough times in Poland. Many many years of weird things. Germany, USSR, unkind jokes, etc. So, Lech names his club Solidarity, but uses the Polish word, and it caught on as well as Che T-shirts at Berkley. Compared to his risks, and the conditions he experienced, the current wave of solidarity fans live in luxury.

It is funny how a word or phrase will catch on. Or how one group of people tries to ride the coattails of another group, especially when being a victim is essential. It can work, but it often trivializes those who really knew hardship and tyranny. You can probably think of examples on your own if so inclined.

Ah, what do I know. I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band*, a rockstar.

*line from a Moody Blues song. It was Moody Blues wasn't it? Yea, I think it was

Let Wesley Snipes know, I am with you in solidarinosc, bro. And all the dissidents in Cuba and Iceland, got your back, my brothers and sisters. Solidarity out the yingyang

new spelling trap just caught; roll vs role

1 comment:

  1. I remember that thing too because the banners were all over Washington DC and we stayed right across the street from the White House in that little Episcopalian Church when I just turned 18 years old.

    I'll tell you if this democracy stuff happens in China you better buckle your seatbelt.

    Bobby

    ReplyDelete

Can't make comments any easier, I don't think. People are having trouble--google tries to kidnap them. I'll loosen up one more thing and let's see. Please give it a try

About Me

My photo
Ballistic Mountain, CA, United States
Like spring on a summer's day

Followers

Blog Archive