Monday, May 13, 2013

There Are Fun Times

Last Saturday I attended the open mic in Rancho San Diego by the Starbucks.   They asked in advance if I wanted a time slot to perform and said I guess not.  They put me down anyway.

Unlike the others who play, I never know what I'll do until I do it.  I'd finished writing a song, at least the lyrics, on Friday.  The melody eluded me, even though I had some clue of what I'd like.  Even so I couldn't formulate it in my mind.

Fortunately, I didn't know I had a slot until a fews minutes prior.   My intention was to just play a random key harp for ten minutes or so with a drummer backing me and nothing else.

On impulse I decided to see if I remembered the words to my song.  I sang it a cappella and a melody emerged.   It actually went over well.  I was in a rare mood, shameless, I guess.

Then I riffed a short bit in A minor, a longer bit in E minor, then even longer in A--using a D harp.  That morphed from just made up stuff into Amazing Grace, into Shortenin Bread, and eventually into the Star Spangled Banner, with no stops in between--just jamming around and working into one or the other.

People actually stood for the national anthem, many singing along.  It worked better than I could imagine.  Then I quit while I was ahead.

Later I hit Parky's since Mockingbird had a gig there and had mentioned me sitting in.  I figured they'd forget or change their minds.  That little place was packed.  Diego the guitar player spotted me hiding toward the back and I ended up sitting in on maybe 5 tunes, one of which I'd heard previously.  It worked well and I left in a very good mood.

They had the place jumping.  Couldn't have gone better.  It was a good quality crowd too, very short on riffraff.
the end
.

3 comments:

  1. Good stuff.

    Landed a paying gig over Memorial Day weekend.

    Better start practicing, as I lost my edge since March.

    f

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool. Not surprising considering you can play almost anything that has ever been written, and at the drop of a hat. I bet you'll have a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. Likely Miss Blogger Girl will make some video, and if anything is not supremely awful (as has happened with these guys before) we'll try to get it onto the Tube of U and get y'all a link.

    ReplyDelete

Can't make comments any easier, I don't think. People are having trouble--google tries to kidnap them. I'll loosen up one more thing and let's see. Please give it a try

About Me

My photo
Ballistic Mountain, CA, United States
Like spring on a summer's day

Followers

Blog Archive