Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Amateur Nights

I guess it is a compliment when people ask if your group would come play in order to add zest and gravitas to their open mic events.  Then again, it's a frigging open mic.  Just about anyone can play, and the do.  Even those who really ought to learn something before sitting in front of people losing their time while they try to read the page in front of them on a music stand.

There is a whole lot of that music stand stuff in SoCal, even among regularly gigging groups and bands.  I understand it, but I am totally opposed to doing it myself or to being in a group who does that. It is fine if you are the San Diego symphony or similar outfit.  But for original music or stuff that is more emotion than technical, the pages tend to inhibit that organic spontaneity.  At least that is how it is in My Book.  It's a pretty big book so I don't carry it around.

I have to say, though, the group here on the mountain could be close to great if we all the the will and the time.  It has something.

The other group I'm practicing with does have a little more time and will.  That one is 90% or more original music, and it is not bad.  Whether the nature of it is what will grab people remains to be seen.

I think the addition of the bass and me has influenced the overall sound much to the good, and I always feel great after one of those practices.  I expect we'll be doing some good gigs before long.  The vocals are very tight--two males and one female.

Both these groups have excellent vocals.  That is new for me.  I miss the harder driving electric guitar centered stuff with good drummers and the whole bit, but I do not miss their tendency toward prohibitive decibel levels.



This is from Feb 2012. I've reduced the belly since then, but this makes me look much more bellyish than I am. Really. Either way, that was the second time I'd heard that version of this song. He played it for me at his house but neither of us knew all the words so I was no help. It is usually a blast to play with Cliff. He is not your average Joe. He's worked on it some since then and I've played it once or twice with him and other people were sitting in too. Maybe I'll get an updated recording of it which ought to be better.


My CA playing has been more of a challenge in some ways.  And less in others.  These people listen better, but what I have to do to fit properly, playing-wise, is more difficult.  It has to have improved my overall skill considerably.

In this circuit I seem to have developed a reputation for being good to have up there.  Probably also a rep for being a little temperamental, or just mental.   That's OK.  I still get requests and positive reinforcement, which makes me try harder.  I do poorly without that.

It has become clear that I'm not that much of a real blues player but I do add some soul to things which otherwise might not be very soulful.  But the harp players whose sound I like the best are Lee Oskar, Mickey Raphael, Greg Taylor and John Popper.  I marvel at the skill and cutting edge virtuosity of Jason Ricci, and I like blues guys like Musselwhite, Cotton, Sugar Blue and Little Walter.

Most harp players rarely would even mention my top four, but they play on things I enjoy listening to more than anyone else.  My tastes alone would get me kicked off a lot of purely bluesharp forums.

That tells me that maybe I am of a different ilk than many players.  And that is OK.  I can't or don't do what a lot of good blues players do, but they don't do what I do, as far as I know.  I'm almost beginning to be comfortable with that.  It is amazing that after all this time I am still finding new little nuances and ways of changing the sound and delivery of the same chords or notes.  I'm working the chords in ways I never used to, and it is effective for what I'm after.

No one has kicked me out of their group yet, and more people keep making minor inquiries, so OK.  It is unlikely to make me rich but it gets me invited to parties, and as of late some single wimmin within the age envelope have been hitting on me--I think.  I'm not to quick on the uptake in that realm.  Working on it.

I suspect the place where I work is being used for somewhat secret strategy and fund raising meetings.  That is good.  Much less trashing of the place when people come down to stay below the radar and use it as a base while they head out to nearby rich people towns to make deals.

I tried to vote in Venezuela but they wanted ID.  Maybe they just don't like My Kind.  It is none of my business, however if Chavez loses, I'll celebrate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Can't make comments any easier, I don't think. People are having trouble--google tries to kidnap them. I'll loosen up one more thing and let's see. Please give it a try

About Me

My photo
Ballistic Mountain, CA, United States
Like spring on a summer's day

Followers

Blog Archive