Monday, July 15, 2013

I May Call My New Song, "The Great Pretense"

Parts of this are really old.  The melody I have in mind is one of those kind that never really ends or has a hard resolve.  A skip to school, happy go lucky sort of thing.  The cheerful melody is a contrast but also fits the point.  But it can be talking about whatever you want.

in the distant night
a baby sleeps
a flower screams
a mother weeps
and the fog from the hills
rolls and rolls
stealing the sight
from the valley below

as innocence
alive and free
is spent like a
cheap commodity
by laughing lords
and puppeteers
trading souls
for another beer

and time and time again
my life flashed before my eyes
praying for lightning in the
thundering rain
begged for lightning
yet here I am
and the fog from the hills
rolls and rolls
stealing the sight
from the valley below

 you thought
we were lying
when we said
they were dying
see them play
in the shimmering sea
no one hears
a drowning plea

the fog in the hills 
rolls and rolls
stealing the sight 
of  the valley below

innocence
alive and free
spent like a
cheap commodity
by laughing lords
and puppeteers
trading souls
for another beer

the fog in the hills
rolls and rolls
stealing the sight
from the valley below

the fog in the hills
rolls and rolls
stealing the sight
of  the valley below


All rights reserved, of course.  No one can use these lyrics for anything except to prove I'm whatever.

If I could write something good, it would look like Heaven, or Volare, or Whiter Shade of Pale
If I had a window, it would look like that one that got shattered


4 comments:

  1. I'm hearing an old English ballad, with a touch of bluegrass banjo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty sure I'd like your vision of it. You did a great job on the get out of Memphis song. Let me know if it is OK with you if I teach that to one or two guys who play music with me. I think it is a great song. And could lend itself to a good jam played live. It would never be played without giving credit to the writer and Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The more I think about it, a huge roadtrip that led me to the Toucan would not be bad. We could play for tips.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Help yourself to the Memphis song song, John, but make a recording of you and the guys :-)

    The Toucan has live music; with a couple dozen songs we could play for almost real money.

    ReplyDelete

Can't make comments any easier, I don't think. People are having trouble--google tries to kidnap them. I'll loosen up one more thing and let's see. Please give it a try

About Me

My photo
Ballistic Mountain, CA, United States
Like spring on a summer's day

Followers

Blog Archive