Wednesday, September 30, 2015

I Must Be Easy

So, I get a call.  "Hey soandso asked us to play at such and such and x% of the door, and open for soandso2. "

And I think, well I have no commitment that I recall.  Lately it is foolish not to see if I have something listed on one calendar or another.  That is a prob.  More than one calendar and rarely keep them all up to date on any given topic.

My consistency is in my inconsistency.  And therein lies the genius of the thing.

Of course, I quickly agree to play as if I know what I'm in for.  We did a set at TinRoof for some reason and I guess the people liked it.  It was a nice place.  And for about 30 minutes, nothing existed beyond just playing.  No thinking, no worry, just suspended in that place.  It is why I do these things. If I let myself get started before I think what a fool I am and how stupid, etc., time just disappears.

Then all of a sudden, that is it. No more.  It feels like two minutes have passed, but it also could be two hours.   Very rarely when I play out does the set feel as long as it is.  A two hour show often feels like thirty minutes or an hour.

You won't believe Day of the Dead.  I think I play six hours on one of the days.  I play four on Halloween.  That is the best gig I have done so far. It pays the best and is most diverse demographic. It has come to the point where I hate to use the word diverse because it has become a stupid, almost cartoonish battle cry for those seeking victimhood and trying to legitimize hostility toward people who are just minding their own business.  But they aren't doing it with the right race, gender, lack of gender, sexual preference, non preference, compulsion, etc.

And that has nothing at all to do with diversity. Diversity is not a virtue in most cases. It is just a situational think. We have a diverse array of paint colors. A diverse selection of nitwit trading cards, featuring a diverse cast of characters drawn from Hollywood and Washington DC.  And all parts of California.

Companies have long had VPs of diversity,.  They may make the title bigger by adding another buzzword. Diversity and sustainability. Diversity and equality.  Diversity and human relations.

I forget the specific example from a past employer.  That VP was a viper.  Female, sexist, racist underhanded creep.  Sexist to the point of clear and open dishonesty and corruption.

Many people in the business world think that is what you have to do.  They think that is free enterprise capitalism.  It is not.  It is lack of character.  Dress it up however you wish.  You know you have worked around people who would probably OK a hit on someone if they thought it would ensure their job security at 25k per year, or even less.

That is the thing.  We have hundred-aires selling out every bit as much as, or more than, millionaires. You'd think the hundred aire would be less likely to let someone die if it meant he could keep his hundreds.  I would assert that he is as likely as the millionaire to throw his fellow man under the bus. Literally.

Observations like that cause me to be reluctant throwing myself into solidinosc with every mob or demonstration.  I don't care what they support.  Besides they probably think it is OK to violate rights of others to make their point.

Oh, I was talking about playing and how I just agree in an uninformed way.  It is embarrassing to admit that most of my decisions are rather uninformed.  I think I have a phobia to informing myself about my life and options for sustaining it.  Makes no sense but that is how it has been forever I think.

I miss being married, even though that was lifetimes ago.  I really should have stuck with it and accepted the help available to me.  On the other hand, maybe she is better off.  One part of me hopes so.  Another hopes not.



1 comment:

  1. One of my oft-asked and seldom-answered questions has been for years "what is the BENEFIT of diversity? Why is it desirable that I should be unable to communicate with my next door neighbor.

    A corollary question has been "please point to a society which thrived and prospered BECAUSE of diversity. f

    ReplyDelete

Can't make comments any easier, I don't think. People are having trouble--google tries to kidnap them. I'll loosen up one more thing and let's see. Please give it a try

About Me

My photo
Ballistic Mountain, CA, United States
Like spring on a summer's day

Followers

Blog Archive